Credit Photo: RFLD participation to UN Women West and Central Africa Program Partners
RFLD (Réseau des Femmes Leaders pour le Développement) is a regional organization based in West Africa that works with over 60 women-led member organizations to promote and protect the rights of youth and women and ensure their participation in decision-making spheres. Operating throughout Sub-Saharan Africa, RFLD boasts an extensive network of CSOs, government partners, and regional networks that allows us to influence the enabling environment for women’s rights.
Expertise and Focus Areas
RFLD’s expertise lies in specific approaches, including:
RFLD offers a unique and valuable contribution to the advancement of women’s rights and development in Sub-Saharan Africa. Here are some key areas where we excel:
RFLD’s theory of change for Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) in Sub-Saharan Africa emphasizes the importance of tackling both structural and individual barriers to achieve lasting progress. We aim to raise awareness about GESI principles within institutions, promoting greater tolerance and inclusion across society. Additionally, we encourage individuals working on the frontlines to develop a deeper sensitivity towards GESI issues, which encompass gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and other factors that contribute to social inequalities. By fostering a collective desire for transformation and addressing these interconnected aspects simultaneously, RFLD strives to create a holistic environment conducive to achieving lasting GESI goals in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Empowering Diverse Voices:
RFLD works towards its goals through six interconnected pathways of change:
- Building Capabilities: Through initiatives like long-term capacity development, peer network support, and responsive blended learning, RFLD equips civil society and media actors with the skills and knowledge needed to effectively advocate for change.
- Fostering Collaboration: RFLD facilitates the creation of strong networks among diverse stakeholders, promoting collaboration and knowledge exchange between civil society and media.
- Ensuring Safety and Protection: RFLD recognizes the importance of creating a safe and supportive environment for activists, particularly those facing threats or marginalization.
- Enhancing Sustainability: RFLD supports women’s rights organizations and other stakeholders in developing sustainable strategies for funding, resource management, and long-term impact.
- Shifting Narratives: RFLD works to counter harmful narratives and promote positive perspectives on social justice issues, particularly those affecting women and marginalized groups.
- Protecting Civic Freedoms: RFLD advocates for and defends the fundamental rights and freedoms essential to a vibrant and active civil society.